Firmware/AT commands RM521F-GLEA

Dear @AhmadAlmousa
Please share your current firmware.
RM521FGLEAR05A02M4G_01.200.01.200 is the latest one.

Dear @zpy3

Dear @Axel

For CA combinations file, I canā€™t share to you, if you want to know, please share to me which you are interested in, I will share it to you later.
For the AT command, please check your Message inbox.

Please contact with your provider firstly next time, they have access to get the latest firmware and document.
Thanks for your understanding.

Question about the compatibility with Mikrotik routers:

The Chateau 5G AX unfortunately comes with a relatively outdated modem (RG502Q-EA). According to the Mikrotik support, it is possible to swap the modem if it supports the MBIM mode.

Is that the case with the RM521F-GL?

I donā€™t know the internals of your router whether it is easily yo be swapped by the end user but I donā€™t recommend buying this module you have mentioned because all units sold are engineering samples and Quectel donā€™t plan to produce production units and firmware updates and fixes will not be released for this model version so itā€™s dead before released.

Thanks a lot for your valuable reply.

Yes, Iā€™ve just reconfirmed in the other thread that this is the case.

Overall, despite especially silviaā€™s replies here and there, the whole support from Quectel, although being certainly better than the non-existent one from companies such as ZTE or Xiaomi, appears pretty ā€œhalf-assedā€ and mediocre as well with terrible product communication. It is also very odd that some supporters such as mentioned silvia always ā€œconspirativelyā€ send files about supported CA combinations or firmwares directly to users only. Such information should be common knowledge and officially listed somewhere, god damn it!

Sigh, neither do I know how difficult it is in general to change the modem of the Mikrotik router and neither do I understand their portfolio strategy. Their newer model Chateau 5G R16 only has 1 Gbps LAN and AC Wifi despite the used Quectel RG520F-EU (who decides that?) and their 2.5 Gbps model Chateau AX has the outdated RG502Q-EU. :roll_eyes:

Now since the RM521F-GL is ā€œend of lifeā€ before even having had any of such life, Iā€™m stuck which modem/router to buy if I want more than a SDX62 based one. The Fibocom FM190W-GL (SDX75) also is supposed to be buggy and restricted as of now. I cynically start to wonder what product isnā€™t alpha or beta state before arriving at the customer. :rage:

2 Likes

The RM521 was my first ā€œmodemā€ purchase.

I should have just stuck with using phones as a hotspot, at least they have support and you can get value back from them by trading in.

Fool me once.

1 Like

Without intend to defend Quectel here in any way (their customer communication is questionable at best), but phones as hotspots unfortunately come with their own quirks, mostly to shitty and daft programming:

• most android devices Iā€™ve tested only use Wifi channels at 149 and above which repeaters donā€™t use, at least in the EU, and are limited to even lower transmit powers

• phones run hot and have their battery drained despite charging under heavy load

• tend to achieve slower upload speeds due to their mediocre antennas

• thanks to most Android systemsā€™ retarded programming and lack of options, one cannot even select trivial stuff like 5G NSA without root access and thus is bound to SA depending on the SIM and ISP which is not always preferable

• lack any LAN routing capabilities whatsover beyond the NAT/PAT fuss. No bridge mode, no advanced settings

Imagine spending $250-$300 on a modem that didnā€™t even have a single firmware update to fix bugs or add features. And they still advertise the same model on their homepage like it is the next big thing and on their official YouTube channel too and they tell you here that this model is not going to be officially released. Quectel has demonstrated that they has neither marketing strategy nor honesty and responsibility.

1 Like

USB tether the phone to a decent router, solves the 1st and last points.

Havenā€™t had issues with heat or battery before, though I havenā€™t used it long term as my main Internet. Also getting the same upload speeds on my phones as the RM521.

My Motorola(Ace 5g) and Oneplus 9 can easily select which Bands to enable using Network Signal Guru, yes root needed which takes about 5 minutes.