Urgent Assistance Needed: GPS Module Displaying Incorrect Year (2020 instead of 2024)

Dear Quectel Support Team,

Recently, we have observed a discrepancy in the displayed year on the GPS module( Quectel L76-M33). Instead of showing the correct year (2024), it is indicating the year 2020.
time, month, and day are correct except the year. This issue arose after the New Year transition, and despite our efforts to troubleshoot, the problem persists.

To provide you with more context, our board relies heavily on accurate date and time information from the GPS module, making this issue a critical concern for us.

Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter. We look forward to your guidance and support.
Best regards,
MArtin

1 Like

Dear MArtin2020.

The same his hapens to us.
2020 instead 2024 but the rest of fields are correct, month, day, hour, minutes, seconds.

Also is critic for our apllications because for example 9/1/2020 was thursday and 9/1/2024 is tuesday, is different week day and is causing a lot of problems for that.

We are using a GPS Module named CK332 (CHIJANWEI) that use the module Quectel L76.

The provisional solution is reset from power the module.
When the restart is done, the date from year is ok in 2024 again.

Hope this help to you and waiting for the official solutions from quectel.

Best regards.
Miguel.

1 Like

Hi Miguel,
The initial plan was to seek help from the community,

and after restarting, everything worked well.

However, I’m curious about the underlying issue and how we can protect our devices from such errors in the future.

Best regards,
Mehrdad

1 Like

Exactly.
This is just a temporary solution while we wait for the official response and it could also happen again in the future… I hope not.

But it was good news to know that the same thing happens to someone else, because we suspected our hardware or software, but now we know it was the GPS module.

Best Regards.
Miguel.

We noticed that this happens on modules with the MT3333 chipset. Modules with other chipsets behave correctly. Presumably, this phenomenon occurs in places where navigation problems have recently arisen due to Russia’s “games” of jamming the GPS signal. See red regions where problems are observed.

2 Likes

We are in Argentina and it happens in different places in the country.

Do you have more information about this hacking?

The problem was on 5% or less of all installed products, it was not general, just specific

Hello Miguel,

was the modules working correctly after a power cycle?
So after the confirmation you’re in Argentina, It looks like world wide phenomenon.

Maybe we can share NMEA log so we can check any discrepancy on issue.

regards

Hi carlitos18.

We don’t have the NME logs because the problems are happening on the equipment installed in the final destinations, there is no problem in the laboratory.

The problem is a little stranger.
The year changes to 2020, in other teams we see the change to 2040 and others to 2060…

Always the only field with incorrect information was the year.
Hour, minutes, seconds, day and month are fine.

We only use the timestamp to use the schedule, we don’t use any other gps information (like speed, position, etc.)

For the moment, doing a power reset for the GPS, the year is recovery inmediatly to 2024 ok.

Thanks.

Best Regards.
Miguel.

Has there been any update for this?

currently it seems no answer on that

Dear senders,

This issue is caused by GLONASS. You can disable GLONASS on your module. Or you can ask me for latest firmware.

I believe this problem will not last long.

Best regards.

Hi Raphael, it seems we met the same issue with 2G combo module MC60E, that uses BB MT2503D, which should include MT3333 as GNSS receiver. Year is randomly in the future, as 2036, 2043.
Could you please send us the latest fw for the MT3333? Thank you

Hi Fesposito,

The firmware in standalone GNSS module is not universal for 2G modules. I will find my colleague to help you on this issue.

Best regards.