Switching automatically to preferred RAT

Hello,

We are using the BG95-M2 modem in our project with roaming SIM cards. Since we don’t have low power requirements, we prefer to use CAT-M1 when available, due to the higher bandwidth and lower latency. We want to fall back to NB-IoT if a CAT-M1 network is not available. For this purpose we are using the command AT+QCFG=“nwscanseq“,0203. With this configuration the modem indeed prefers the CAT-M1 networks in case of a fresh modem, which has never registered into a network. However once the modem registers to a NB-IoT network due to a weak CAT-M1 signal, it never goes back to a CAT-M1 network even though the device is moved to a position with better CAT-M1 signal and restarted. We tried to change the AT+QCFG="irat/timer" configuration, so that the modem switches to the higher priority CAT-M1 network, but this does not happen. Is it possible to switch to the high priority RAT automatically or do we have to implement this manually in the application?

Hi @oezgen
As you said, its alreadt configured irat/timer, so module will try to register to higher priority CATM when timer expired. but now the behaviour seems not as we expected, its hard to say without modem log, but we suggest you can try with AT+QCFG=“simeffect”,0 reboot to tacke effect.

probably there is SIM order and with NB as a higher priority, please help to check this command.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried AT+QCFG=“simeffect”,0 and reboot, but it did not make any difference, it still connects to the NB network.

As I said, it successfully prefers CATM after a fresh scan (e.g. after changing nwscanseq), so I don’t think the SIM card has a NB priority.

Do you have other suggestions to debug this issue?

Hi,
please try with following commands and then do hardware reset.

AT+QNVFD=“NV/item_files/modem/geran/grr/acq_db”

AT+QNVFD=“/nv/reg_files/modem/lte/rrc/csp/acq_db”

AT+QNVFD=“/nv/reg_files/modem/nb1/rrc/csp/acq_db”

AT+CRSM =214,28542,0,0,11,“FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF”

AT+CRSM =214,28531,0,0,14,“FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF”

AT+CRSM=214,28643,0,0,18,“FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF”

1 Like

Thanks for info, but

1. What are the restrictions to using the AT+QNVFD commands? Do you need to do that in a limited functional state (AT+CFUN=0 or 4)?

2. Where can I find documentation about the “AT+QNVFD”. I can’t find it in any Quectel manual other than the FAQ in Quectel_BG95BG77BG600L_Series_Network_Searching_Scheme_Introduction_V2.0.pdf). When I google it appears under Qualcomm AT commands, but no links to any Qualcomm manuals.

1. No limited, you can do at AT+CFUN=1 or other state.
  2. QNVFD commands used to delete history freq.
1 Like