RM520N-GLAP module is not detected in PCI slot of ZBT WG1608

Hello,

I am trying to run RM520N-GLAP on a ZBT WG1608 router running OpenWRT.
This router has a M2 key B PCI slots and it can be used in PCI (not USB) mode, but after installing the module no new pci hardware was detected.
The OS thinks the slot is empty.

Any ideas how to make it running?

Check if pins 41,43,47,49 on M.2(NGFF) socket are connected anywhere.
Even if they are, currently there is no necessary driver support available for PCI modems in OpenWrt.

you need to install qmi protocol and required packages when running openwrt for modules to be detected.

also, even if they are m.2 they are detected as usb on openwrt in WG1608. router doesn’t detect pcie mode.

At least pins 41 and 43 look connected. The router claims to support PCI mode.

What kind of driver support do you mean?
MHI PCI driver already in and some of SDX55 modem are successfully running on it. I’m using a development build with kernel 5.15.131.

This modem doesn’t support any other modes except MBIM/QMI/QRTR/AT eFuse-based PCIe Mode over PCIe interface. USB-AT-based PCIe Mode is disabled.

i tried running my rm520nglaa version on pcie mode with AT+QCFG=“data_interface” command and it cant be detected in my WG1608. good thing i was able to revert it back to usb mode by plugging it to the pc.

i guess you cant use it in WG1608 since RM520N-GLAP cant run on usb mode. i guess rather use it in a laptop or pc with adapter like this https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DDjUSgT

What is the fundamental difference in running this modem on a PC and on a router?

If it need a special driver from the Quectel, I can try to build an openwrt build with quectel linux driver.
But before I do that, I would like to recieve Quectel’s comments, if there are any other restrictions.
I’m confused that the card is not detected as a new device at all, which suggests some hardware limitations inside the modem. Or router, but it seems less probable.

since your router is wg1608 then it is the limitation. even if its m.2 or pcie mini slot they act as usb adapter on the board thats why openwrt will ttyUSB2 to communicate. if you have doubt with your router, i suggest contact ZBT.

Assuming all the 4 lines are connected somewhere and the module is powered, lspci should show something.
I remember that on some old ZBT boards the PCI lanes had 0R’s missing on the PCB, so it will be worth checking.

Can i have the following files RM520N-GLAP? Thank you!
PCIE drivers for windows 10
Windows software to send at command and cellular connect manager.

@JT_JT This is not what we are discussing here, please start your own topic.

I bought a mini-pcie to m2 key-b adapter and installed the module into the intel NUC. Unfortunately, the module did not work in this case either, again, no new pci or any other devices.
So the problem is not in the router, but more likely in a defective module. :frowning_face:

You need to make sure that

• your adapter has PCI lanes connected between the connectors
  • your computer mPCIe slot has PCI signals present

I bet your adapter is USB only.

I also bought a RM520N-GLAP for my ZBT WG1608 16m. It obviously didn’t work just as you experienced. Did you ever get this resolved?

Also wondering if something like this will work.

I reached out to waveshare to see if it supports RM520N-GLAP but didn’t get a response yet.