RM502Q-AE & n41 connectivity. Power related?

My 502Q will not latch n41 (T-Mobile USA) for more than a few seconds before it crashes/reboots. Tried multiple different enclosures with a 12v 4amp power supply. Is this a power issue or is there a problem with the 502Q connecting to n41?

Suggestions needed.

You’re running the latest firmware update? Is it SA or NSA 5G you’re trying to connect to? Is your tower aggregating n41 with n41 or another 5G freq band? If it is power issue I would imagine this would be reproduced on any 5G frequency and would not be limited to n41 only and you have already supplied enough power unless there is a defect with your unit. I am from a different country but I am running the latest firmware and connect to n41 fine.

Thanks for the reply. I believe I’m just not finding an enclosure capable of delivering proper power to the modem. What do you have your modem housed in? I’m trying to figure out what my options are.

Spontaneous reboots related to power supply are very much dependant on signal strength.

That’s from the modem ramping up its transmit signal strength on command from the tower.

1 Like

Is there any documentation on power requirements for specific bands? I’m not very far ( few miles ) from the source tower.

I am housing the modem inside a 5G router zbt WG1608(It is a bit old now) but you can search Alibaba or AliExpress for any M.2 5G router with preferably something that has WIFI 6 and 2.5G Ethernet port. There are also M.2 to rj45 boards made by mcuzone on AliExpress that seem to get good reviews.

My RM502Q started out in a WG1608 as well, then tried an MCUZone board. Both fail to latch n41. I’ve been told they’re not often delivering more than 2 - 2.5a to the modem.

I think it is firmware related. Are you on the latest update? Have you owned this modem for long time? You are getting this same behavior everywhere or in specific location? Did you run the AT commands that show the RSRP and SINR?

Firmware is RM502QAEAAR11A04M4G_01.203.01.203

Had the modem for a couple years at least. Can’t run any AT commands about signal, the instant n41 connects the modem crashes and reboots.

Is there any reason why you are on the AR11 releases? The AR11 don’t support 5G CA and perhaps the T-Mobile tower is trying to aggregate n41 and it fails and reboots. Did you give the AR13 a try?

That’s my mistake, I started with AR11, have since put in:

RM502QAEAAR13A04M4G_01.200.01.200