RM500Q-GL no 5G-SA connection

Hello,
I am trying to setup a connection to Vodafone Germany 5G networks. I was able to connect to very specific 5G NSA connections, others flatout fail. LTE carrier aggregration seems also rather lackluster - my phone constantly beats the RM500Q module in speeds.

But the main reason we bought the module was to monitor 5G SA connections - which dont set up at all. I am using the newest firmware with V2.2.2.3 windows drivers.

I can see the SA cell being discovered as serving cell, my sim card is able to connect using a S21 ultra just fine. What am I missing?

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your question.
What is your current firmware version, you can use ATI to query.
What is your testing environment, with windows PC or linux AP?
Please help to send below at commands and tell us the returning results.
ATI
AT+QCFG=“USBNET”
AT+QENG=“SERVINGCELL”

By the way, in order to better support you, please help to answer below questions, thanks!

• Company name and located Country:

• Project name (so we can refer to it in the future):

• Application type:

• Estimated Annual Units (for series production):

• Project timeline:

• Current status:

• From which distributor do you buy Quectel modules & EVB kits?

• Do you have EVB kit for this application?

Firmware: RM500QGLABR11A05M4G

AT+QCFG=“USBNET”
Error

AT+QENG=“servingcell”

+QENG: “servingcell”,“NOCONN”,“NR5G-SA”,“TDD”, 262,02,366540C9,362,AC50,628800,78,10,-60,-11,34,1,-

+QNWINFO: “TDD NR5G”,“26202”,“NR5G BAND 78”,628800

+C5GREG: 0,1

Testing enviroment is PC for quick testing of different locations and Raspberry / Linux for the actual project.

I work for Vodafone in Germany. we might want to order 100+ units if we can get the modems to work properly. The timeline for the project is running out quite fast, sadly, so quick help would be appreciated.

The RM500Q-GL spec I have lists very few supported NR5G-NSA bands:

5G NR NSA - n38/n41/n77/n78/n79

Having bought one before checking, I was very disappointed that I had to buy an RM500Q-AE as well:

5G NR NSA - n1/n2/n3/n5/n7/n8/n12/n20/n25/n28/n38/n40/n41/n48*/n66/n71/n77/n78/n79

By the way, the AT+QCFG="usbnet" command you tried has unicode quotation marks, and not the ASCII version you need.

Dear Snowgum,
As you said, RM500Q-AE can support more ENDC combination, so RM500Q is more suitable for EMEA and US region.

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your detailed information, I have mailed to you, please check and reply via mail, thanks.

Poor 5G NSA support is a small bummer, but the advertised 5G-SA bands not properly working is a much bigger issue. It very clearly states in the brochure that 5g-SA band n78 is supported, and then I am not able to get a connection.

Quectel support is trying to help me via Email, I hope this issue can be resolved.

Hi pmbaron!
Did you manage to solve this problem? I’m having similar issues with 5G SA connections!

Thanks!