RM500Q-GL never switching to 5G network

Hi,

i have RM500Q-GL connected to a Raspberry Pi over a 5G HAT with USB.

I have configured the device over AT Commands and already double checked that 5GNR is enabled and prioritized over LTE through AT Commands.

I start and reconnect the QMI device over qmi-network scripts running and checking for disconnects in a systemd service.

At runtime I query parameters with the qmicli tool to check for the current radio network interface and KIP for LTE and 5G (RSSI, RSRP, etc…).

Everything seems to work fine with LTE, but even if the KPI like RSSI for 5G is good (~100dBm) I have not seen it actually connect to a 5G network.

I have multiple questions regarding the switch to 5G networks. Should it be possible with my setup to even connect to 5G? If yes, should it automatically switch to 5G network if it is in range? Does the prioritized 5GNR only check for 5G at boot or should it also prefer this RAT at runtime?

Would there be a better way to check the connection parameters at runtime than querying all qmicli get parameters? This seems to only get me LTE related content even if the KPI for 5G are fine.

Dear @parkersnable
Please share your configurations.
Is it possible to use AT command to get the status?