[RG500U-EA] No Longer works after firmware update

I was given this firmware by Quectel support (RG500UEAABR03A04M4G_01.001.01.001)

Firstly i was able to plug in the USB and install Quectel_Windows_USB_Driver(U)_For_ECM_RNDIS_V1.0.14 which gave me a bunch of COM ports and USB modem functionality. Using the AT driver and PORT number i was able to send AT+QDOWNLOAD=1 and reboot the device into a working recovery mode. I then used QFLASH (latest version) to send the above PAC file to the device.

After reboot, the modem no longer starts, i can still login through UART session and login with ‘user’ into a highly restrictive shell. However the modem functionality doesn’t work anymore. there is no LAN/WIFI, and the physical RESET/WPS buttons no longer work.

Any IDEA how i can restore this device or get the modem working again?

When i boot up i am able to go into DEBUG mode. Where i have captured the logs…

BOOT LOG

boot.txt (104.4 KB)

Dear @preservio
What is your original firmware? Could you take a picture of your module?
If use Qflash to upgrade, does it work?

Hello Silva,

Thank you for respond the original firm where stated on boot up and inn webUI was:
(RG500UEAABR02A01M2G)

Yes I sent AT command QDOWNLOAD=1 QFlash v6.9 seemed to work and was successful how ever after flash the board WiFi / networking doesn’t start up however it still boots up and I can log into user shell via UART pins located on top of picture

Let me know if you want me to remove heat sink

@silvia

Can you help me?

Can you send AT now?

Please check

AT+QCFG="usbnet"

AT+QCFG=“pcie/mode”

@Bean.Wang-Q

AT+QCFG=“usbnet”
+QCFG: “usbnet”,5

AT+QCFG=“pcie/mode”
+QCFG: “pcie/mode”,1

For Windows OS, you should set the modem to RNDIS mode.

AT+QCFG=“usbnet”,3

for Linux, it is better to set it th NCM.

AT+QCFG=“usbnet”,5

It means that the modem is in NCM mode.

Yes modem works in windows with ,3 via usb how do I enable WiFi on this unit? Thank you however WiFi doesn’t work do you have driver for this modules

The WIFI should connect with the RG500U.
For how to use the WIFI, please check the Quectel AT manual.

And is it Open Solution?

Hi @Bean.Wang-Q I am looking at this file Quectel_RG50xQRM5xxQ_Series_AT_Commands_Manual_V1.2.pdf i dont see anything about turning on Wifi module. Is this the correct document? Yes its open solution and i am root through ADB

Thanks!

if it is open solution, there are Quectel API for set up WIFI connection.

@Bean.Wang-Q I am not sure if this is Open Solution. Can you please share AT command to turn on wifi?

Hi @Bean.Wang-Q after following the doc and running the command “./quec_wifi.sh” i get the following error?

Starting quec wifi
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/4.14.98/wlan/wlan_cnss_core_pcie.ko: No such file or directory
insmod: ERROR: could not load module /lib/modules/4.14.98/wlan/wlan.ko: No such file or directory
will start ap
./quec_wifi.sh: line 6: iw: command not found
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
./quec_wifi.sh: line 9: hostapd: command not found
interface wlan0 does not exist!
finish quec wifi start ap

I also tried to run the AT+QWIFI=1 command which returns

[2024-04-14_21:43:53:600]AT+QWIFI=1

[2024-04-14_21:44:03:647]+QWIFI: 1,0

[2024-04-14_21:44:03:647]OK

So is there no wlan0?

No After updating the Firmware, there is no longer Wlan0

There is no wlan0 and no wlan.ko. For open solution, it might need special driver.
If It is open solution, it is better to check with the Quectel FAEs. For open solution, you must have e-service count.

FC06E is PCIe device, you can check whether it is recongized.

With which firmware it worked?
On the forum, the Quectel can only send you the standard firmware. They cannot send you the QuecOpen SDK and firmware.

Hi @Bean.Wang-Q i think i know the issue, the system is missing lots of kernel objet/ drivers, however i will have to compile these from linux source code and other places like pcie drivers. However the firmware (RG500UEAABR03A04M4G_01.001.01.001) doesn’t have the GNU toolchain on it. So there is no MAKE or GCC to compile source. I also tried to install packages via OPKG, however all the packages i try to use say wrong architecture. Do you know how i can find GNU tool chain and get GCC and make on this board or know where i can find OPKG (*ipk) packages for this?