Regarding LC29D module

Hello,

1. Could you kindly tell me how can I obtain documents (Hardware Design, GNSS protocol specifications etc.) for the LC29D module? There are no documents available on the product webpage.
  2. Is the LC29DAMD module recommended for new designs?
  3. Is this module capable of using Galileo constellation? Does this require a special firmware update?
  4. It is possible to test RTK on this module? Is firmware support available for this function?

Best regards,
/patrik

Dear Sir

1. The document has been emailed to you, please check.It is recommended to contact Quectel local FAE to obtain documents.
  2. What is the application of the product? How much accuracy is required?
  3. Galileo satellite is supported by default, no special firmware is required.
  4. RTK is not supported yet, it is still under development.

Best Regards

Hello Stone,

Thank you for your reply and the documents.
The application is just asset tracking. We are trying to see what is the best accuracy we can get without using RTK. And so <1m CEP as stated in the datasheet of LC29D is quite impressive especially considering that it is in autonomous configuration.

Best Regards,
/patrik

Hello Stone,

I have some more questions, which I hope you would be able to help with.

In the specifications of the LC29D, the stated accuracy (preliminary) for the LC29D (A) module is < 1m CEP in autonomous mode.

Could you please clarify whether:

1. Does the word ‘autonomous’ in this case mean that the module only uses the primary GNSS constellations, and not SBAS or any other corrections? In other words, can the module really achieve < 1m accuracy without any of these corrections?
  2. What antenna was used to obtain the result of < 1m accuracy? Could you share the part number and manufacturer details?

Best Regards,
/patrik

Dear Sir

1.Yes, in the Opensky environment. Please note that its unit is 1m CEP. It is mainly due to the L1+L5 dual-frequency satellite signal, which improves its accuracy.
In addition, please note that the current version of LC29D supports the DR function and is applied to two-wheelers and four-wheelers.
2.Please refer to the attached Quectel antenna specification.

Quectel_Antenna_YG0028AA_Datasheet_V1.1.pdf (265.4 KB)
Best Regards

Thank you very much for the information!
When you say current version, does that mean the latest firmware version, or is there a hardware revision too? Can the LC29DAMD support DR function?
Is this module recommended for new designs?
Could you also tell me how to obtain the QGNSS software (to test the LC29D EVB), and the latest firmware for LC29DAMD module?

Best regards,
/patrik

Dear Sir

When you say current version, does that mean the latest firmware version, or is there a hardware revision too? Can the LC29DAMD support DR function?
——The main difference is the software. The current firmware only supports the DR of two-wheeled vehicles (such as scooters and motorcycles), and the module requires the injection of speed pulses. Refer to the hardware manual for details.

Is this module recommended for new designs?
Could you also tell me how to obtain the QGNSS software (to test the LC29D EVB), and the latest firmware for LC29DAMD module?
——This depends on your product application. If it is a two-wheeled vehicle and requires DR, I can send the latest firmware to you via Email.

Best Regards

Hello Stone,

Thank you for your reply.

Ours is not a two wheeled or four wheeled application. And so, we do not have wheel speed ticks or pulses. Would DR work with just the internal 6-axis sensor?

In our application, the device (on our custom board) would just be attached to our equipment and powered by battery. Is there a firmware for an application such as this, with no wheel speed and forward/backward signal input? Is there a firmware without dead-reckoning enabled?

Best regards,
/patrik

Dear Sir

Generally, DR can only be applied to vehicles.
The current state is: the application of two-wheeled vehicles requires that vehicle speed information must be injected. The application of four-wheeled vehicles supports not injecting vehicle speed.

Best Regards

Hello Stone,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a firmware without DR? If so, would you be able to share this version by email?

Would you also be able to share the four-wheeled vehicle version firmware (that has DR without the need to inject wheel speed)?

Is there a QGNSS software that can be used to test and evaluate the LC29D module and its EVB? Could you provide this?

Best Regards,
/patrik

Dear Sir,

Sorry for the late reply.

Is there a firmware without DR? If so, would you be able to share this version by email?
——Not currently, there may be in the future, I will confirm this and then reply to you.
Would you also be able to share the four-wheeled vehicle version firmware (that has DR without the need to inject wheel speed)?
——Currently only LC29DB and LC29DC support four-wheel firmware.
Is there a QGNSS software that can be used to test and evaluate the LC29D module and its EVB? Could you provide this?
——I will send you the path to get the QGNSS software.

Best Regards