Quectel RM520N-GL speed issues in 5G

Hello Quectel! Please help me find a solution. I tried the modem on two routers and three firmware versions, MikroTik RBM33G (MT7621, ROS and OpenWrt) and Gl.Inet Beryl AX (MT7981, OpenWrt), on the USB3.0 bus. The problem is that the modem does not develop a download speed of more than 250-270 Mbps in conjunction with routers, and when connecting the modem directly to the computer, there is no speed limit. USB mode on RM520N-GL 3.2. The firmware everywhere indicates connection speeds of 5000 Mbps. The processor load of the routers does not exceed 40%. Maybe the problem is in the modem settings?

Just one possibility, but have you tried lower MTU settings, maybe in the 1350-byte range? Or, turning on any “MSS Fix” option available on the routers? 5G/LTE carriers usually don’t support a full 1500-byte frame, and if attached devices on the Ethernet or Wifi side are trying to use 1500, resulting packet fragmentation can cause reduced performance. Directly-attached computers using a QMI, MBIM, NDIS, etc. driver might be ending up with a proper MTU automatically.

that is the problem with that processor. you can try software offloading at the firewall settings of openwrt. me, i gave up on 7621 routers and built my router using mini pc using openwrt x86/64

Late update. I tried putting my rm520n-gl on my wg1608. Using openwrt version 22, speed was always below 200mbps. I updated to openwrt version 23 running it on qmi and enabling hardware and software flow offloading, i can now surpass 400mbps

Hi! I was able to achieve 450 Mbps on the RBM33G and 600 Mbps on the MT3000 with OpenWRT 24… and offloading. The processor is loaded almost entirely. The modem other than MTU 1500 does not work.

i followed instructions on how to workaround using 1420 as mtu. BTW im only using software offloading as hardware offloading has many issues

Thanks for your reply! In the end, I bought a M2 to ETH board)

I would to query. Using m.2 to ethernet like waveshare, do you experience random disconnection from the tower? If it does, does it automatically reconnect and no need to repower the device. I’m planning to switch to same device.

It can run for weeks without any issues, unless the base station experiences any issues or reboots overnight. I’ve noticed that (IMHO), even since using it with a USB adapter on OpenWRT, the modem works reliably in ECM mode and with the 3ginfo-lite package. In our (KZ) area, two bands are mainly common: B1, B3 and N78. I have an MCUzone board with 2.5ETH. Don’t worry about the temperature; it’s 40°C outside, and the modem has been working fine outside for three years.

what is your experience for speed? is it better than when you were using openwrt router? why not use it in pcie mode?

I can’t say how it would work with all four antennas). Right now, the download speed is up to 800. I have a panel antenna and the base station is a kilometer away. I don’t have any equipment with pci.

Too bad 1 port came off. 3 even 2 antennas in mimo can work. But you can strip the wire and solder it directly. But better take it to someone who repairs phones since they can solder with microscope.