Need for 5G NR RSRQ,RSRP, SINR details

Hi,

Could you please answer to these two questions for a RM502Q-AE?

• Are RSRQ, RSRP and SINR given by AT+QENG an average of the values measured at each antenna?

• What reference signal is used by RM502Q-AE to calculate RSRQ, RSRP and SINR in 5G nr (CSI, SSS, …) ?

Thank you

Helo
The answer of your first question is Maximum RSRP value can be calculated based on maximum input UE power UE which is -25 dBm and minimal LTE bandwidth which is 1.4 MHz, i.e. 72 resource elements . Then -25 - 10*LOG(72) = -44 dBm. Absolute RSRP measurement accuracy is between ±6 and ±8 dB.
(2) In LTE, the UE measurements are done for RSRP, RSRQ and SNR associated with CRS (Cell Specific Reference Signal) . 5G NR uses SS (Synchronization Signal) and CSI (Channel State Information) instead of CRS, so 3GPP had put new definitions for UE measurements in place.
Best regards

Inayat

Hi,
Tank you for your reply.

I agree that we can calculate the RSRP from the RSSI and the bandwidth. I also agree that 5G uses SS and CSI as references.

But my questions were more about:

• How does the modem caluclate the RSRQ, RSRP and SINR given by AT+QENG with multiple antennas? Does it calculates an average value? Does it take the values of the antenna with the best RSRP?

• The AT Commands Manual for RM5xxQ Series does not specifies if the RSRQ, RSRP and SINR are SS-RSRQ, SS-RSRP and SS-SINR or CSI-RSRQ,CSI-RSRP and CSI-SINR. How to know which one is given by the modem?

Best regards

My experience leads me to believe that +QENG reports signal data from the main antenna.

You can read signals from all four antennas, where the RAT (LTE or NR5G) is reported:

AT+QRSRP
+QRSRP: -114,-115,-140,-140,LTE
OK
AT+QRSRQ
+QRSRQ: -17,-16,0,0,LTE
OK
AT+QSINR
+QSINR: 9,6,-20,-20,LTE
OK
2 Likes