L96 I2C voltage level

I’m designing a solution with the L96 module. It could be supply in the 2.8-4.3V voltage range, but it is not clear to me if the I2C pull-up resistors can be connected to the power supply line. In fact in your notes you reported the following points:

1. I2C_SDA/I2C_SCL should be externally pulled up to 2.8V.
  2. The voltage threshold of I2C is 2.8V. If the system voltage is not consistent with it, a level shifter circuit must be used.

If the voltage threshold is 2.8V, pull up resistors have to reference to a higher voltage, e.g. the power supply voltage, as it is for all integrated circuits with I2C ports.
So, can you confirm the maximum voltage for pull-up resistors please?

Thank you and best regards

Hi Rigamonti,

4V3 voltage is too high for L96. Please keep the I2C pull-up at 2V8. Otherwise, a high voltage will damage the chip.

I will send you the last L96 firmware for I2C communication.

Best regards.

Hi Raphael,
my proposal was to supply the module and pull-up resistors at 3.3V, not 4.3V. Could it work?
Otherwise, what about to use 2.8V for both the module power supply and I2C pull-up resistors?

Thank you

Matteo

Hi Rigamonti,

2.8V is the minimum recommended voltage for VCC. As your device works longer, I’m afraid the VCC voltage would drop and module doesn’t work with full performance. So please provide higher voltage for VCC.

Best regards.