L76-L not communicating over i2c

I’m having trouble getting the L76-L to communicate over i2c with an ESP32 module. I’ve double checked the hardware and software and cannot find any issue with it.

Does the module not come with firmware that enables i2c? If not, how do I get it?

Okay, I see that L76LNR02A02SC, available here:
https://cnquectel-my.sharepoint.com/personal/europe-fae_quectel_com/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx?ga=1&id=%2Fpersonal%2Feurope-fae_quectel_com%2FDocuments%2FBerton%2Fforum%2FL76-L
Has i2c enabled. Does current inventory come loaded with this version?

I figured out that the 3 L76-L modules I have (from 2 different sources), none of them worked over i2c, but after flashing 1, it works fine!

Why would you advertise this specific variant as working over i2c, but not include the firmware (that was released in 2019) to do so?

Is there some way that I can purchase the modules flashed with the latest firmware without buying thousands at a time? I’m making a lower volume product. Did the suppliers I purchased from have old stock?

Hi Jdeglavina,

I’m sorry about your bad experience. Indeed, our Specification document didn’t mention about the special firmware for I2C which causing your annoyance. I will forward this issue, and ask to add notes in future documents. Thanks for you reply.

Best regards.

Thanks for following up.

Do you know of a way I can get the modules loaded with the most current firmware?

Hi Jdeglavina,

Maybe you can contact with a salesman or local FAE. Or you can launch a topic in the Forums. I will reply to you.

Best regards.