GNSS position not fixed on BG95

I’m trying to use get position information using GNSS on my BG95-M3 module, however I’m only getting the error 516, which means Not Fixed Now.

I’ll let some AT command outputs here to help you troubleshoot it with me:

AT+QGPS=1
OK
AT+QGPSLOC?
+CME ERROR: 516
AT+QGPSGNMEA="GSV"
OK
AT+QGPSCFG="nmeasrc",1
OK
AT+QGPSGNMEA="GGA"
+QGPSGNMEA: $GPGGA,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*66
OK
ATI
Quectel
BG95-M3
Revision: BG95M3LAR02A03
AT+QGMR
BG95M3LAR02A03_01.009.01.009
AT+QGPSLOC?
+CME ERROR: 516

I tried also it outside a few minutes, but I’m still getting the same 516 error. Also, I’m using the 03D-S3-00-A GPSGLONASS antenna model.

Finally, I have some questions:
Does this model support GNSS indeed in this firmware version?
This antenna is a active one, should I order a passive one to test it?
Do you have any more AT commands that I can run to help me troubleshoot it?
Am I missing some configuration step?

Thank you!

Hi Eduardo,

Can you query satellites in view(GSV message) refering to the steps below? I want to check whether module received satellite signal or not.

About your question:

1. Yes. This version BG95M3LAR02A03_01.009.01.009 supports GNSS function;
  2. If you have an active antenna circuit, you can use both active one and passive one. If you have a passive antenna circuit, it only supports passive one.
    3&4. I will send you GNSS Application Note via message.

Best regards.

Thank you for replying, Rafael!

So, I tried to run the AT+QGPSGNMEA=“GSV” AT commands, as you suggested, but I only got OK:
AT+QGPSGNMEA=“GSV”
OK

What can we infer from this? I think that the position can take some minutes to be obtained, but the satellite information should be faster, right?

I’ve just got my coordinates!!

If you have an active antenna circuit, you can use both active one and passive one. If you have a passive antenna circuit, it only supports passive one.

This comment that you said let me take a look at my click board datasheet, then I realized that I should enable some GPIOs before running the AT commands that I mentioned.

To turn on the DC power to the GNSS antenna, and save it in this state across power
off, issue the following commands to the modem:
AT+QCFG=“gpio”,1,64,1,0,0,1
AT+QCFG=“gpio”,3,64,1,1

So, after doing that, I could get satellites and a GPS location.

Many thanks!