Expedite the AT+CNUM process on new sim cards?

When I am using a brand new T-Mobile sim card, it takes about 10-15 minutes for the AT+CNUM to return a phone number. It’s because the subscriber is taking too long to set the phone number on the device. Any way to speed up the process? Once the phone number is set by T-Mobile on the SIM card then AT+CNUM responds instantly.

I’ve considered sending myself a text message and returning the phone number but that seems very primitive…

I am using a BG95M3.

What does AT$QCPBMPREF? return?

If it returns something other than:

$QCPBMPREF: 1 
1 -- Apps 1 Local  Phone Book 
OK

then change the phone book set to Local with: AT$QCPBMPREF=1

AT+CNUM reads the first entry in the “Own Numbers” phonebook.

If AT+CNUM still fails, then you can write that phonebook entry “permanently” to the SIM with:

AT+CPBS="ON"
AT+CPBW=1,"+1234567890",145,"Own Nbr"

Where “+1234567890” is your number in international format, and “Own Nbr” is the name you want to use for this phonebook entry.

1 Like

Thanks! I found your previous posts and it helped a ton. What would you do if you don’t have the phone number and you wanted to store it in the phone book?

As you suggested, send an SMS from the unknown number to reveal it.

Ask the SIM provider to help.

Yeah, seems sending the SMS won’t reveal it. I’d have to find the some sort of service number to text and expose it which I don’t think they have.

The receiving device will have the originating number. It should show that.

Maybe your receiving device is trying to be too helpful, and showing something else?

The receiving device would respond back with the phone number but for prepaid situations that would use up 2 text messages. It isn’t so bad, just seems like a very inefficient solution.