Error receiving SMS BG95-M3

Hello everyone,

I have recently started working with the BG95-M3 module for sending and receiving SMS messages, and I have had several failures receiving messages.

From the different tests I have done, there are times that I receive the message immediately but at other times it takes much longer, receiving it after many hours, however, I always receive the message even if it takes a long time.

I have checked the signal quality of the SIM card and there is not much difference between the tests performed, so I do not know what I could change to always receive the SMS without so much delay.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi @Rodrigodp

Is possible to provide a Modem log for us?

We do have a similar problem, however it is only affecting SIM cards from a single provider.
Receiving SMS messages can take multiple hours, up to multiple days.
SMS Sending is working immediately, as expected.
We contacted the provider to see if they can give us a hint on how to fix the problem.
They said they were not able to contact the module because of some VoLTE issues. Our Firmware does not support VoLTE however. (BG95M3LAR02A04_01.204.01.204)
Another interesting discovery is that everything is working as expected if we force the BG95-M3 to always send SMS via GSM, not over eMTC. This is not a long-term solution as GSM is expected to be shut down soon in our country.

What could be possible solutions to fixing the problem?

@Linkin-Q Could you provide more information on how to get a Modem log?

Please post the results from the following AT commands:

AT+CGDCONT?
AT+CGSMS?
AT$QCPDPIMSCFGE?
AT+QCFG="ims"
OK
AT+CGDCONT?
+CGDCONT: 1,"IP","drei.at","0.0.0.0",0,0,0

OK
AT+CGSMS?
+CGSMS: 0

OK
AT$QCPDPIMSCFGE?
$QCPDPIMSCFGE: 1 , 0 , 0 , 0

OK
AT+QCFG="ims"
ERROR

AT+QGMR
BG95M3LAR02A04_01.204.01.204```
VoLTE should not be supported in this firmware version, so the error makes sense i guess?

Without any confidence (given the lack of VoLTE support), I suggest you try to enable IMS on context 2 with these commands:

AT+CGDCONT=2,"IPV4V6","ims"
AT$QCPDPIMSCFGE=2,1