EP06-E bricked / calibration data erased / modem not working

I have a EP06-E (EP06ELA-512-SGA) modem in my GLiNet X750v2 running with OpenWRT which has been working fine for about a year. After an unscheduled reboot I was not able to connect this modem to my network again (O2 DE). After loads of fiddling and trying I ended up resorting to upgrading the modem to the latest available firmware found in this forum (EP06ELAR04A20M4G) using qfirehost which was working fine but not fixing my initial issue of connecting the to the network.

After going through the AT commands and configuring the modem to my best knowledge I was able to once connect to Vodafone DE but not O2 DE which lead me to believe ‘I need to completely factory reset my modem’. Some searching in this forum lead me to this development command AT+QPRTPARA=3 which seems to be a R&D command not to be used too often (:warning: ).

Even after using this command I was not able to get the modem to connect to any network anymore (tested with multiple SIM cards and different operators).

My last resort was most likely pretty stupid, I flashed the same firmware stated above again using:

qfirehost -e -f <firmware>

erasing my calibration data in the process :man_facepalming:.

It seems like this was pretty stupid and I can’t enable the modem anymore using mmcli:

root@OpenWrt:~# mmcli -m 0 -e
error: couldn't enable the modem: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.Error.Protocol.DeviceNotReady: Couldn't set operating mode: QMI protocol error (52): 'DeviceNotReady''

Also after doing this, the modem seems to support some weird bands (eutran-66) as well as only supporting 4G, no 3G anymore.

root@OpenWrt:~# mmcli -m 0
  ----------------------------------
  General  |                   path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0
           |              device id: cfa897132dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx066c0ccyyyyyb9d
  Hardware |           manufacturer: Quectel
           |                  model: EP06-E
           |      firmware revision: EP06ELAR04A20M4G
           |         carrier config: default
           |           h/w revision: 20000
           |              supported: lte
           |                current: lte
  System   |                 device: /sys/devices/platform/ahb/1b000000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2
           |                drivers: qmi_wwan, option1
           |                 plugin: quectel
           |           primary port: cdc-wdm0
           |                  ports: cdc-wdm0 (qmi), ttyUSB0 (qcdm), ttyUSB1 (gps), 
           |                         ttyUSB2 (at), ttyUSB3 (at), wwan0 (net)
  Status   |                   lock: sim-pin2
           |         unlock retries: sim-pin (2), sim-puk (10), sim-pin2 (3), sim-puk2 (10)
           |                  state: disabled
  Modes    |              supported: allowed: 4g; preferred: none
           |                current: allowed: 4g; preferred: none
  Bands    |              supported: eutran-2, eutran-4, eutran-5, eutran-7, eutran-12, 
           |                         eutran-13, eutran-25, eutran-26, eutran-29, eutran-30, eutran-66
           |                current: eutran-2, eutran-4, eutran-5, eutran-7, eutran-12, 
           |                         eutran-13, eutran-25, eutran-26, eutran-29, eutran-30
  IP       |              supported: ipv4, ipv6, ipv4v6
  3GPP     |          enabled locks: fixed-dialing
           |   packet service state: detached
  3GPP EPS |   ue mode of operation: csps-2
           | initial bearer ip type: ipv4v6
  SIM      |       primary sim path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/0
           |         sim slot paths: slot 1: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SIM/0 (active)
           |                         slot 2: none

As far as I can tell I need some XQCN partition file to get this modem back to a working state again which can’t be found online.

So here are my questions

• Can someone guide me through unbricking my modem?
  • Is the firmware version EP06ELAR04A20M4G the latest one, of not can you please provide the latest firmware?
  • What is the recommended way to factory reset a Quectel EP06-E modem (it seems like I am unable to find any official way)?
  • What steps are necessary to get my modem in a normal working state for operation in Germany, using ModemManager on OpenWrt 23.05.0?

If any more information is necessary, let me know!

Hi @bhaase
Unfortunately, qfirehose -e is indeed a very uncommon command. It is a full wipe upgrade and requires a specific upgrade package to complete. There is nothing else that can be done to save it at the moment as I imagine it will probably cost more to fix it than buy a new one.

I appreciate your feedback and understand there is no value to fix ‘one random modem’. What I have seen in other threads is that some customers seem to have received these XQCN files, is there no way to provide this without too much effort?

Additionally I highly recommend adding a second safety switch to the qfirehose -e command to avoid this from happening. Even though there is a warning and my doing was stupid, it seemed logical in the moment and was not that clear that this will definitely brick any modem.