EM12-G: Heat sink

Reading EM12_Hardware_Design, 6.9 Thermal Dissipation: It says you can install a heat sink. Is installing a heatsink on top of the metal component shield useful for the EM12-G? Example:

In 6.9, it says to add a thermal pad between module and the main PCB. What if there is no exposed copper ground plane below the module on the Main PCB, does adding the pad still help or no?

If no thermal pad is installed beneath the module, is the top mounted heatsink as seen in the above picture useful at all or no?

Lastly, in EM12_Hardware_Design page 63 it says β€œFor more detailed guidelines on thermal design, please refer to document [5].” Where can I find Document [5] ?

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for your query in Quectel forums.
If there is no copper on the PCB, the effect of adding a heat dissipation pad between the PCB and the module will be worse, but it also has a heat dissipation effect. Adding a heat dissipation pad on the shield cover is the same.
Document [5] The specific file name of the document is introduced on page 70 of the document, as shown in the figure:
I will also send you this document.
thanks.Quectel_LTE_Module_Thermal_Design_Guide_V1.0.pdf (1.7 MB)

1 Like

Thank you for your time and insight Kerr Yang. I appreciate your help very much.

@User55 I also want to thank you to make a post on heat sink. It cleared my all difficulties about this topic. :slightly_smiling_face: