EM12-G GPL source code

Hello,

I recently acquired EM12-G devices, and realized that they run GPL code.
Could you please provide all the GPL source code for this product ?

Thanks
Fred

Sorry I don’t understand.

There is an Linux OS running in the EM12-G. I think you don’t that that Linux SDK and it is not free.
If the EM12-G works as an USB device, the USB driver is follow GPL license.
What you need to do is just add the kernel configuration.

I am writing to request the source code for the EM12-G module, which is running a Linux kernel. As a user of your device, I am entitled to access the source code under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).

The GNU GPL, under which the Linux kernel is licensed, requires that anyone who distributes the covered software, in either source or object form, must make the source code available to the users. Since the EM12-G modem uses the Linux kernel, I believe it falls under this requirement.

Here’s the Linux version that is running on my device:

~ # uname -a
Linux sdx20 3.18.71 #1 PREEMPT Mon Mar 29 20:37:22 CST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

Please let me know how I can obtain the source code for the Linux kernel as well as any other GPL-licensed software included in the EM12-G modem. (I already checked FTP server provided in Quectel Open Source | Quectel, but the source code for EM12-G is missing).

Hello,

@Bean.Wang-Q any update on this request ?

GPL license requires that Quectel releases GPL-licensed code that is included their products.
Quectel already released the code for EM20 : https://www.quectel.com/quectel-open-source

Could you please release the source code for EM12G ?

Thanks

It is not possible. What you bought is the Quectel modem and that not includes the OpenSDK.
Quectel have signed NDA with Qualcomm, it is not allowed to provide the Linux SDK to anyone.
Only those who have signed NDA with Quectel and Quectel have released the QuecOpen SDK from them can get part of the source code, and it only inlude the Linux kernel 、bootloader and rootfs.

I found that there is already Linux kernel 3.18 in
Quectel Open Source | Quectel

You can just take it as the Linux source code.

Hello @Bean.Wang-Q

Thanks for your reply.

It is not possible. What you bought is the Quectel modem and that not includes the OpenSDK.
Quectel have signed NDA with Qualcomm, it is not allowed to provide the Linux SDK to anyone.

I am not requesting code under NDA, I am requesting code that is licensed by GPL.
Quectel is legally required to provide all GPL code it ships in its products.
Please see https://gpl-violations.org/ for more information about GPL licensing.

I found that there is already Linux kernel 3.18 in Quectel Open Source | Quectel

The source code provided on this FTP server doesn’t match the GPL source code has been used in EM12-G.
To comply with GPL license, Quectel has to release the all GPL source code that is being shipped in their products. All big companies comply with these requirements.

Thanks for your help.