[EG915U] File download errors during module update (AT+QFOTADL)

Hello,

We are using the LTE modem EG915U in our project to support Bluetooth and cellular.
It is currently operating fine to establish a Bluetooth or a PPP connection.
We are now trying to update it using the FOTA functionality provided by the system, however we were unable to make it work until now.
We are using the following procedure, as described in the Application Notes:
AT+CGDCONT=1,“IP”,“<our_apn>”
AT+CGACT=1,1
AT+QCFG=“fota/cid”,1
AT+QFOTADL=“https://<path_to_the_file/update.pac”,1,100,100

We are mostly using CGDCONT but have also tried AT+QICSGP=1,1,“<our_apn>”,“”,“”,1

This usually lead to error 701 “Unknown HTTP(S) error”.
With some websites we sometime get the error 420 as well.

Some other posts related to error 701 indicates it can be linked to the ciphers used.
However several are supported by both the modem and server we are trying to reach ; moreover we do not have control of the server.

If the procedure mentioned above is executed after a reset using “AT+CFUN=1,1”, we sometimes get the error 570 “Abnormal FOTA HTTP socket” as well.
We also still get errors 701 and 420.

Do you have more details on the three errors we encounter (701, 420 and 570) and what could cause them ?
Would you have any solution to this situation ?

Model: Quectel EG915U
Revision: EG915UEUABR03A01M08

Thank you,

Best Regards,
Jean-Baptiste

Hi @JBL
Can you give me your email? I can send you the EG915U FOTA guide. I also noticed that you are using HTTPS, which requires you to use SSL security to encrypt the connection.

Hello @lyman-Q ,

So we need to open the ssl connection prior to starting the update with AT+QSSLOPEN.
I tried to activate it before but the qsslopen returned an ERROR.

I had done the following:
AT+QSSLCFG=“sslversion”,1,3
AT+QSSLCFG=“ciphersuite”,1,0xFFFF
AT+QSSLCFG=“seclevel”,1,0
AT+QSSLOPEN=1,1,1,“<ip_address>”,443,0

I will try that once again.

Which error should be resolved by using the ssl prior to the update (701 / 570 ?)

I have received the document, thank you.
It does correspond to the one I was basing myself on to setup the FOTA. In this document, nothing mentions a ssl session must be opened prior to it, and as it is indicated https is supported I assumed this was handled automatically.

I managed to make the SSLOPEN command work, I probably used it wrongly before.
However, on the different https servers I tried, it either resulted in a +QSSLOPEN error (566, 579) or in a HTTP error 420 when the ssl session was successfully opened.

For the +QSSLOPEN errors, I believe I will have to look more deeply in the configuration of the SSL session. As I am not experienced with SSL, if you have any suggestion on that matter it could be of great help.
Regarding the error 420, would you know how this could be solved ?

Thank you

Hi @JBL
I send the SSL document to you too.pls chk.

I received it, thank you.
I am trying to understand the SSL process better and to make it work.
For now it is not conclusive, although I managed to upload a certificate and add it to the ssl context configuration, I still get the 566 error.

Hi @lyman-Q

I was not able to make the SSL connection work for now, it might be related to the servers we are trying to connect to, and on which we have no control.
We have tried to create some https servers for tests purposes. The the ssl session can be opened, however we end up with an error 420. Whe also tried creating an http anf ftp servers, with the same result.
It is suprising to have this same error 420 with four different hosts.

Is the error 420 a code used by Quectel modules ? Would you know what it corresponds to, and its root causes ?
I have not found any mention of it in the FOTA, HTTP, FTP, TCP or SSL Application Notes of the EG915U.

Given the situation, I have a doubt about the file I am using for the update.
I was using the .pac file provided by Quectel support along with the UpgradeDownload tool.
Is this file adapted for FOTA, or are other binaries required for that ?
If an other file is required, could you provide it ?

update file name: 8915DM_cat1_EG915UEUABR03A01M08.pac

Hi @JBL
I check the error code,means that No space,you should make sure that the space is full,and if SSL not work,you can use HTTP to try.

I wonder where you got your FOTA bag and how big is the FOTA bag?

Thank you @lyman-Q
Then the file might be too big. It is indeed 6Mb, which must be too much for the EG915, despite it working with the UpgradeDownload tool. I don’t have the module specifications however.
Would you have an update file adapted for an update of the EG915 using FOTA ?

The upgrade was provided by Quectel after contacting the support through mail

Hi @JBL
The complete upgrade package can only be used for local upgrade. FOTA package can only be obtained after application, which may take some time. Don’t you have a local upgrade environment?

The objective here is to implement an update of the modem on the developed and sold product.
Therefore local update will not be possible

@JBL
Hello, I have got the upgrade package, I will send it to you, you can try FOTA upgrade.

I used FTP FOTA to try to upgrade, it is available.

Hello, could you send the upgrade package to me as well? I’ve been having the same problem

Hi @Redivo
OK,can you give your e-mail?

enzo.redivo@ravex.com.br

Thank you in advance.