EG25G "No Network Service" when registering to Simpel/T-Mobile and NL KPN

Hi Everyone

I have been trying to get my pinephone (which uses a EG25G) to connect to a mobile network. I’ve tried to manually get it to register to a network using AT commands but all I get are “No Network Service” errors. I’ve tried to fine more details logging but I can’t open the qmdl files I get from the QLog tool and the logging in /var/log on the modem don’t seem to list anything relevant (as far as i can tell, I’m not an expert).

The sim used works just fine in my android phone.

I’ve seen some people here with similar problems being advised to update their firmware, could that be a possible solution for me as well? (I’ve tried to find some kind of firmware changelog, so I’d be able to tell myself, but couldn’t find any.)

Here’s are some of the AT commands and results I’ve tried.

ATI

Quectel
EG25
Revision: EG25GGBR07A08M2G

OK
AT+QNWINFO

+QNWINFO: "FDD LTE","20416","LTE BAND 8",3700

OK
AT+CSQ

+CSQ: 18,99

OK
AT+COPS=?

+COPS: (1,"Simpel","Simpel","20416",7),(3,"NL KPN","NL KPN","20408",7),,(0-4),(0-2)

OK
AT+COPS=1,2,20416,7

+CME ERROR: 30
AT+COPS=1,2,20408,7

+CME ERROR: 30

Thanks,

Wieke

Dear Wieke,
Thanks for your inquiry in Quectel forum.
For your issue, Please check the following information:
1.do not lock to PLMN, just use automatic mode;
2.Please check the following commands:
AT+CEREG?
AT+CREG?
AT+QENG=“servingcell”
AT+QCFG=“BAND”
AT+QCFG=“nwscanmode”
3.it is need the special tool to open qmdl file, sorry can not share the tool with you, and you can email to support@quectel.com to ask our local FAE to help to analyze the log file.

Hi Kyson

Thanks for helping out. Here are the commands and results you asked for (I ran these after I rebooted the entire system):

AT+CEREG?

+CEREG: 0,0

OK
AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,0

OK
AT+QENG="servingcell"

+QENG: "servingcell","LIMSRV","LTE","FDD",204,16,D480A,409,1800,3,5,5,203,-105,-12,-76,14,22

OK
AT+QCFG="BAND"

+QCFG: "band",0xbff,0x1e00b0e18df,0x0

OK
AT+QCFG="nwscanmode"

+QCFG: "nwscanmode",3

OK

I tried it again but with nwscanmode set to auto.

AT+CEREG?

+CEREG: 0,0

OK
AT+CREG?

+CREG: 0,0

OK
AT+QENG="servingcell"

+QENG: "servingcell","LIMSRV","LTE","FDD",204,16,D480A,409,1800,3,5,5,203,-106,-13,-74,16,21

OK
AT+QCFG="band"

+QCFG: "band",0xbff,0x1e00b0e18df,0x0

OK
AT+QCFG="nwscanmode"

+QCFG: "nwscanmode",0

OK

Btw, what’s the QENG command? I can’t find it in the AT commands document (v1.3) I have. (I assume it’s listing the info on the cell tower it’s currently in contact with.)

Thanks for your updating!
Please double check whether it have detect the SIM card with AT+CPIN?
From the log you provided, it is limit to connect to LTE network. There have two possible reasons:

1. The SIM card do not support LTE, you may need to check with the operator;
    2.The network issue, or you do not use the right APN username, password, it also need to check with operator.

For module, you should confirm the module have detect the SIM card, then need to catch the module’s debug log to confirm the reason. Thanks!

The sim seems to be detected:

AT+CPIN?

+CPIN: READY

OK

Unlocking the sim and such also seems to work correctly (when done through the phone’s interface, haven’t tried it with AT commands).

I haven’t checked with my operator but when I put the sim in my android phone it connects to the LTE network. (According to Settings > About phone > Status > Sim 1 status > Mobile network type.)

I’ve manually copied over APN configs from my android phone (which it detected automatically) and tried ones I got from my operator’s support site. But I was under the impression that APN is necessary to use mobile data/internet? I have that disabled at the moment.

then need to catch the module’s debug log to confirm the reason. Thanks!

That would be done using the QLog utility right?

Yes, you can use Qlog to catch module debug log. Then you can email to support@quectel.com to ask our local FAE to help to analyze it. Thanks!