EG21-G 'generic-no-service'

Hi!

I’m using a Quectel EG21-G LTE modem with EG21GGBR07A11M1G firmware version.

I communicate with the modem using ModemManager (v1.12.10) and QMI protocol (qmicli v1.26.6).

A few devices are able to successfully find networks, register and connect. But on 1 device I see:

Jan  1 00:02:56 [WARNING:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Network scanning failed: g-io-error-quark: Timeout was reached (24)
Jan  1 00:02:56 [WARNING:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Network scanning failed: g-io-error-quark: Timeout was reached (24)
Jan  1 00:02:56 [INFO:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Modem state: searching
Jan  1 00:02:56 [INFO:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Modem state: searching
Jan  1 00:02:56 [INFO:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] [<ModemManager.Bearer object at 0xb57699a8 (MMBearer at 0x1182940)>]
Jan  1 00:02:56 [INFO:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] [<ModemManager.Bearer object at 0xb57699a8 (MMBearer at 0x1182940)>]
Jan  1 00:02:56 [INFO:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Created bearer: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/0
Jan  1 00:02:56 [INFO:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Created bearer: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Bearer/0
Jan  1 00:02:56 ModemManager[255]: <info>  Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0: state changed (searching -> connecting)
Jan  1 00:02:56 ModemManager[255]: <info>  error: couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed'
Jan  1 00:02:56 ModemManager[255]: <info>  call end reason (3): 'generic-no-service'
Jan  1 00:02:56 ModemManager[255]: <info>  verbose call end reason (3,2001): [cm] no-service
Jan  1 00:02:56 ModemManager[255]: <info>  Modem /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/0: state changed (connecting -> searching)
Jan  1 00:02:56 [WARNING:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Modem connection attempt failed: none g-io-error-quark: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.Error.Protocol.CallFailed: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed' (36)
Jan  1 00:02:56 [WARNING:connectivity:None:modem_connect_sync] Modem connection attempt failed: none g-io-error-quark: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.libqmi.Error.Protocol.CallFailed: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed' (36)

Device is always searching or connecting, and fails with couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed', call end reason (3): 'generic-no-service'

The device is the same place as other device which can successfully connect. What can this error mean?

Also the APN and other bearer settings, and SIM card are the same as on other device which works.

Hi, do you have any pointers on what can be causing this error?
couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed', call end reason (3): 'generic-no-service'

this is a temporay problem, you can run at +cfun=0 and at +cfun=1, and then retry call origination to fix it.

The problem was caused by the device trying to connect before being registered to network. The host MCU firmware needs to make sure in all cases that the device is registered before connecting. The bug is now solved on all affected devices.

Thank you for help,
Filip

Hello, I have this same issue.
I’m following this guide from Sixfab.

I’m not sure how to ‘make sure that the device is registered before connecting’ in this case, anyone could assist me?

This is the line I’m running and it’s answer:

$ sudo qmicli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --device-open-net='net-raw-ip|net-no-qos-header' --wds-start-network="apn='internet',ip-type=4" --client-no-release-cid
error: couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed'
call end reason (3): generic-no-service
verbose call end reason (3,2001): [cm] no-service
[/dev/cdc-wdm0] Client ID not released:
	Service: 'wds'
	    CID: '18'

Best, Victor