EC25. CME ERROR: 13 interpretation

Hello dear Quectel,

Our Android devices use EC25 module and sometimes we are facing with CME ERROR: 13 (Sim failure) problem. This is the RILD logs:

AT> ATI
AT< Quectel
AT< EC25
AT< Revision: EC25ECGAR06A04M1G
AT< OK
AT> AT+CSUB;+CVERSION
AT< SubEdition: V02
AT< VERSION: EC25ECGAR06A04M1G
AT< Dec 17 2018 20:28:26
AT< Authors: QCT
AT< OK
AT> ATE0Q0V1
AT< OK
AT> ATS0=0
AT< OK
AT> AT+QURCCFG="URCPORT","usbat"
AT< OK
AT> AT&D2
AT< OK
AT> AT+CMEE=1
AT< OK
AT> AT+CREG=2
AT< OK
AT> AT+CGREG=2
AT< OK
AT> AT^DSCI=1
AT< ERROR
AT> AT+CFUN?
AT< +CFUN: 1
AT< OK
AT> AT+CPIN?
AT< +CME ERROR: 13
AT> AT+CFUN?
AT< +CFUN: 1
AT< OK

I haven’t found any detailed information about that status in Quectel devices particularly. So can you please provide link or just describe what can be a cause of our problems?

Dear Dimorinny,
Thanks for your inquiry in Quectel forum.
For your issue, it is better to check whether there have any interference on SIM card in your hardware design. You can unplug and plug SIM card or change another SIM card, or change it to airplane module and exit it to have a try. Thanks!

I have many devices that has Quectel EC25. Some of them gives AT< +CME ERROR: 13 . When we examine it thoroughly, we see that this happens when electricity fluctuates. I mean when we put our devices at vehicle with small battery that cannot overcome to start engine. This CME ERROR: 13 happens. Also very interesting part is, it can be solved if and only if we unplug and plug SIM card again I mean even if we unplug V+ from device completely and plug again it does not work. So, is this about SIM card circuit has noise?

What could be solution for this? If you will say send design, we do not have design we buy hardware from another company, any comment? Thanks…

Dear SmartEq Bilisim,
Thanks for your updating. And from what you said that, it must be related to the hardware design of SIM card circuit, it may have the interference on SIM card circuit. If you want to solve it, you may need to check the design firstly, then confirm it have stable power supply for the device. Thanks!

Hi Kyson,

There are things that I want to hear from you.

1- One of our device we see that internet connection get down. Than we send AT+CFUN=1,1. After GSM Module start again, it does not recognize Sim Card and give CME ERROR 13. Does sending AT+CFUN=1,1 is not good way to connect back to internet. I mean should not we send that AT+CFUN when we could not connect to internet. Is there any other way?

2- Eventhough we power off device and power on again it does not detect sim card. It is very interesting.
It detects sim card if and only if we unplug sim card and plug again EC25 mini PCIE detects it.

3- We use your suggestion, when we get CME Error 13 we send AT+CFUN=0 than AT+CFUN=1, our software try it again and again. And we realize that it recognizes Sim Card after some try.

4- Is there any other thing that we can do.

5- Than provide us best design for it. This is not secret, give us the best design tricks than we use it in our designs. Than your device work better, so it sells more. Share a refrence design for it. Thanks!

Dear SmartEq,
For your issue, it is really strange. Normally AT+CFUN=1,1 and AT+CFUN=0, AT+CFUN=1 have the same function to reset the module to recognize the SIM card again. But if the connection or have any interference on it, they may have no effect to recognize the SIM card again. About the hardware design, we already provide the reference design for customer, it is we recommended. Thanks!

Yes we also think that it is very strange, but we could not solve it. It works good at office. When we send it to vehicle and connect it. Its voltage flactuates and GSM module become not recognizes Sim. It could not detect sim.

If we unplug sim and re-plug again it recognize it.

Hi again Kyson,

We try this,

We have a device that does not recognize SIM card. So, we change Mini PCIE GSM Module and give it try.

It does not recognize again.

So, we understand that this problem is not related GSM Module. It only solves when we unplug SIM card and plug it again.

My question is, can we use back of Mini PCIE SIM card part. Can we solder a connector to here and give it a try.

Yes, you can. Please check the following picture to solder the SIM slot. Thanks!

Hi Kyson, thank you very much.