EC25-AF unable to connect to any network after booted out using roaming SIM

Hi,
We have an unusual problem with EC25-AF in Canada.

The modem is attached to our pump controller. We have run the modem with a roaming SIM from Emnify, using the Bell network by means of the AT+COPS command. That worked fine, until Bell stopped supporting the Emnify SIMs. When that happened, the equipment obviously continued to try to connect to Bell, but with no success.

Then after some time the modems didn’t even try to connect anymore. After that happened, the modem was unable to connect to any network, no matter what SIM was used, roaming or non-roaming, and no matter what operator it was set to. It was as if the Bell network had said: “Well, you keep trying to connect to me over and over again, despite being rejected. Now I’m gonna shut you up!”

So my initial question is this: Is there any way an operator (like Bell or someone else) can send a command to the modem over the air, that in effect prevents the modem from even trying to connect again? If so, what setting is that, and how do I get rid of the blockage?

Here are some more details:

SW Version = EC25AFFAR07A14M4G
IMEI = 866834042806070

The agent in Canada send such a blocked modem, as well as an roaming Emnify SIM, to me here in Australia, so I could test it. Even though the modem is not meant for Australia, there are still 2 bands it supports. I started by sending these commands:

AT+CFUN=0
OK
AT+CFUN=1
OK
AT&F0
OK

I can check the SIM:

AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY

AT+CIMI
295050902070619 (This is an Emnify SIM)

I can set the APN:

AT+QICSGP=1,1,”em”,””,””,0
OK

Available networks are:

AT+COPS=?
+COPS: (1,“Telstra Mobile”,“Telstra”,“50501”,2),(1,“vodafone AU”,“voda AU”,“50503”,7),(0-4),(0-2)
OK

Trying to connect without setting the preferred operator ends in error, every time:

AT+CGATT=1
ERROR

Setting the operator to Telstra makes the modem hang:

AT+COPS=1,2,”50501” (Nothing happens after this, waited > 5 mins)

Setting the operator to Vodafone, results in an error. But that’s the same behavior on all my modems. I guess Vodafone doesn’t like roaming SIMs or at least SIMs from Emnify.

If I run the modem with a local Telstra SIM, the same thing happens:

AT+CGATT=1
ERROR

Setting the operator to Telstra, when the SIM is a local Telstra card, shouldn’t really make a difference, but even so, the modem hangs after sending the AT+COPS=1,2,”50501” command.

I have another EC25-AF modem that works fine, both with Emnify, Telstra and Vodafone SIMs. So I’ve compared all the settings I could think of, and there were no significant differences.

I’ve tried to get it out of a potential test mode with the AT+QRFTESTMODE=0 command, but it wasn’t in test mode, and it made no difference.

And I have tried many other commands, none of which has made it get out of this blocked state.

I have checked the IMEI number online, but it’s not blocked. I have even CHANGED the IMEI number to the same as that of my working modem, again no difference.

Please help!

Hi @flemmingmonsrud
I sent you the qwinlog tool, used to grab module logs, you can grab a log containing CFUN=0,CFUN=1 registration network process to show me? Make sure to use an available SIM card and the correct APN.

Hi @lyman-Q,
I’ve already got QWinLog_V1.8.12, and I did some test runs and logs some days ago. I’ll send them to you. Please have a look and see if you can spot where it went wrong.

The first is Test9, which is with the faulty modem. The other is Test10, using a working modem. They are both EC25-AF, but slightly different software versions. The documentation contains the QWinLog files as well as the Putty log from the AT-commands I used.

We suspect the blockage has something to do with the NV/EFS settings. Maybe you can confirm that. You see, the faulty modem came to life after I deactivated the MBN file with this command:

AT+QMBNCFG=“Deactivate”
OK

After a reboot the modem started to connect successfully.
Test9&10.zip (8.5 MB)