Doubt about the use of BC66 with AWS IoT and eDRX mode

Hello,

I have a Quectel BC66 and my idea is to connect it to AWS IoT.
I want to create a solar battery powered device that sends information every 5-15 minutes to AWS. I also need to be able to send messages to the device with a maximum delay of 2 minutes.

I know that using LWM2M is much better for low power requirements, but one of the goals is to make it as simple as possible, so if I am able to connect it directly to AWS IoT that is much better. I have been searching the web to find out the best way to do it and I have some doubt that I could not find.

1. Is it possible to use eDRX mode keeping the MQTT connection alive? What is the advantage of doing that? If the connection is closed I guess I have to reconnect and if I want to send a value every 5 minutes this is going to waste a lot of energy.

2. When I use AWS I have to send certificates. These certificates are large so they increase the message size a lot which increases the network cost. how can I optimize this?

Thanks in advance

I recommend that you first verify and test the eDRX mode to determine if it meets your requirements and can successfully receive downlink data