Choosing proper Module

Hello,

I’m little confused with modules info in quectel website !
Can you please tell me what’s different between LTE-Cat and LTE-FDD ?!
Which is meant by 4G normally ?!

In fact I’m looking for a module which both supports 2G and 4G networks, and I only need SMS and data link (like GPRS). high baud rate is not important for me and call is not needed too.
I found some modules in LPWA category (https://www.quectel.com/lpwa-iot-modules), but I’m little confused in fact,
i.e BG95 specs shows it supports:
LTE-FDD: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B8/B12/
B13/B18/B19/B20/B25/B26/B27/
B28/B31/B66/B71/B72/B73/B85
EGPRS: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
LTE-FDD stands for normal 4G data network ?!
And EGPRS means that I can’t use SMS in 2G network coverage area ?!

If I’m right, Can you suggest some models which support my requirements ?

Can you please guide me.

Thanks.

Hi,
Your understanding of the module is correct, according to your needs to recommend the BG95M3 module to you, it can meet your business needs. Here’s an explanation of LTE-FDD and LTE CAT.

Lte-fdd and LTE CAT are different concepts

LTE-FDD:

TDD and FDD are composed of two different duplex modes. TDD represents time division duplex, that is, the up and down lines are crossed in the same frequency band according to time allocation. FDD, on the other hand, is carried out simultaneously in different frequency bands of upstream and downstream.

LTE CAT:

The full name of LTE CAT is LTEUE-Category, which can be broken down to explain :LTE refers to 4GLTE networks, UE refers to user devices, and Category translates to level. Smooth interpretation is the user device can support the level of 4GLTE network transmission rate, also can be said to be a technical standard of 4G network speed.

Thanks for your reply.

I have two questions:

1- Does BG95M3 support SMS sending in 2G GSM mobile network ? or it only supports GPRS connection ?

2- About the LTE CAT, is it supported by all 4G networks ? I mean does it work anywhere LTE-FDD works ? ( i.e 4G LTE-FDD and 4G LTE-TDD is working in an area and supported by the mobile network, so LTE CAT also works there for sure ?)

1, BG95M3 is supporting GSM SMS service.

1. The 4G network supported by BG95M3 is different from the standard 4G network. It supports low power wide area network, including CATM and NB-IOT. This type of module is not recommended if it is not supported. You can use the standard module of 4G, which supports the standard 4G network.
1 Like