BG95M3 cannot connect when chaging country

Hi There,

We have a product designed with the BG95M3. When we setup the device we configure the modem to use all available RATs (M1/NB/GSM) and we restricts the scan bands just for EU countries in order to accelerate network scanning.

The modem connects to the network after the configuration and it works fine, until we change country. Then the modem stops connecting to the network until we go back to the country where we did the first connection.
We tried also disabling M1 and NBIOT but the result is the same. We tried In three different countries always with the same result.
It doesn’t seems to be a SIM issue as when the initial configuration is done the modem will connect independently form the country.

My suspect is that when the modem connects to a network operator it saves it in the internal flash and then it will always be looking for that specific operator and cannot swap to another one.
We power cycle the modem between different connection attempts.

Anyone has any hints? We did not scan for networks every time (AT+COPS=?) as I though the modem will do it automatically when it cannot connect to the previous operator.
And we do not perform a scan during first configuration, we just set the bands and the enabled RATs (AT+QCFG…).

Thanks and Regards,

Andrea

1. yes , when you registered one network first , this PLMN will be saved to SIM card as RPLMN ( registered PLMN)

2. if you enabled all RAT , under NB mode , it will scan NB , whole band scan need about 35 minutes , so i guess, it is not register failed , you need to wait enough time only 。

3. if you have waited enough time ( over one hour) ,pls reach to support@quectel.com

we need modems log for more analysis.

Hello,

Thanks. We have reduced the NB bans to EU only (AT+QCFG=“band”,F,80084,80084), also in this case it will take 35 minutes?
Also we have enabled M1 and 2G and M1 has higher priority (AT+QCFG=“nwscanseq”,020301) . The odd thing is that for the first connection it will only take less than 30sec to connect. Is there a way to reset the RPLMN and force the module to look for a different network provider?

Thanks,

Andrea

Hi
Did you check you have set AT+COPS=0 to enable automatic network scanning?

BR

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
No I did not as I thought it was the default selection of the BG95M.
In fact the first connection goes fine, The issue is present when the first network is not available anymore and it has to switch to a different one. I have a 60 seconds timeout.

Cheers,

Andrea

60 seconds might be much too short! try 3 minutes at least!

1 Like

Thanks,

Is that3 minutes timeout necessary also if I have only 2G or M1 enabled?
I have also restricted the bands just for EU zone. Is there a way to force e network rescan?

Cheers,

Andrea