BG95-M3: reliable, energy saving connection setup on roaming

I did some tests with a BG95-M3 module on roaming networks for a tracker device.

Generally it works fine but when crossing countries there are problematic situation, so I would like to make it fault tolerant with minimum energy consumption in all problematic cases.

The examples in the manuals all are fragments for specific commands but I’m looking for a setup recommendation which does:

• check if any scanned operator accepts the APN.
  • exclude operators which does not support PSM (I saw operators which accepts the APN but does not support PSM).
  • if no available operators support PSM nevertheless use a available operator (without PSM) and use a adequate power down sequence.
  • prevent excecive power-on if no operator is shown or the module hangs.

Do you have a connection setup flowchart for this “do it all” use case?

Thx Matthias

I’m still a newbie here, but a SIM card with international M2M coverage, it will not be easier? Like Twilio or similar.

Exactly such a SIM card I use - in my case from ThingsMobile.
Such cards works in roaming mode but not all oerators seems to allow PSM.

Can’t you talk to them to select the operators?

I do not know how to deal with PSM. Orange and Vodafone usually have PSM support

The problem appears when you travel across several countries: there are often operators which does/does not allow PSM and by doing a scan you dont’ find out which supports PSM - you have to connect and try and this is a) not the fastest way to find out and b) drains battery and c) costs a connect.

Quectel already published a flowchart for reliable connecting but unfortunately this is without PSM.

What I would prefer is a flowchart or pseudocode for this from Quectel.

1 Like