BG95-M3 Linux QMI Driver

Is there a Linux driver for the BG95-M3 that works with QMI? I’m using Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit and I cannot get the modem working with modemmanager at all.

lsusb shows the device is connected but I can’t seem to get it to show as a valid QMI device or via ttyUSB* for serial function.

Were you able to find a solution for this?

No, I got close with some really odd CLI commands but nothing that I’d consider reasonable.

It looks like the modem id info was missing from modemmanager and similar linux tools.

In the end I gave up and went with the EC-25 series modems for my project as they were more reliable and the NB-IoT and similar bands from the BG95 aren’t widely deployed, if at all, in the areas my build will be used.

Hello Kemonine

The BG-95 M3 does not support ethernet interface over USB. Hence there is no use even if someone adds support of it into qmi driver.
This module has only 3 ttyUSB ports

1. AT port or modem port
  2. NMEA port
  3. DM ports

And finally using this module you can only do PPP dial up data connection.

Thanks and regards

We are facing exactly the same issue with our evaluation of the BG95. Actually there are 4 devices enumerated on USB:
lsusb -t
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=ehci-platform/1p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 10, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 10, If 1, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 10, If 2, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 10, If 3, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=option, 480M

Is there a specific reason for this limitation as the driver integration guide states that a fifth device should enumerated?

We are also working with BG96 and it does show and control the 5th interface:
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 4, Class=, Driver=qmi_wwan, 480M

Can we expect a firmware version for the BG95 to support it?

1 Like

Thus, BG95-M3 PPP only :-). Or does it now support QMI, in case of newer firmware ?

The BG95-M3 should support the Ethernet mode (usbnet ecm) according to the “UMTS LTE 5G Linux
USB Driver User Guide” v 3.1 at least. I run with PPP today, but aim for USBNET Ethernet later. The manual also describes how to set up the system to get the devices to work as serial PPP or USBNET with Linux by modifying the [KERNEL]/drivers/usb/serial/option.c file. You should be able to get the manual from quectel.com.