BG95-M3 - assisted GPS (AGPS)

Hi there!

I have looked into the specs and unfortunately I did not see assisted GPS (AGPS) function on BG95-M3.

This function is indeed gone?

All the best!

Hello @Viorel

BG95 series module do not support AGPS function, please take a reference with follow table:

BR
Linkin

@ Viorel
You can still use “Xtra” to speed up location acquisition.

Thank you, @Linkin-Q
I wanted to check BG95, since the BG96 had some issues with XTRA, and I think it’s marked as obsolete from Quectel. I thought BG95 will have AGPS by default.

Hope to see these days how the new Xtra will work. I’m quite curious.

@hobby_a Yes, it was on the list :smiley:

@Linkin-Q, please help me a little bit!

In difficult reception conditions BG95M3 with XTRA enable takes 5-10 minutest to get a GNSS lock.

BG96 with AGPS (no XTRA, I had problems fixing it) takes 2 minutes, as far as I remember.

In order to get faster GNSS lock is there something I can do with BG95M3?
For this BG96 is still a better solution? I remember I’ve seen that it’s an obsolete solution, but I cannt find the info.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Viorel

You tried a few times on BG95-M3, was it always 5 or 10 minutes? After XTRA is enabled, it usually takes about 10 minutes to start up for the first time and much less time to start up again.

The behaviour is similar in my case.

• First around 10 minutes
  • Poweroff for few minutes
  • Fix in 1-3minutes

I have a situation on the working devices in which there’s no batteries and the device works just for few minutes and do not reach the GPS lock. The goo thing is that the device stays for day n the same location. Maybe this helps!

Well, I’m happy that I have stayed on Quectel modems. The forum has become more responsive, and it help a lot a newbie developer like me.

I might add the community here. Big thanks to @hobby_a . He has given me great insights!

Starting the GPS with this has been quite helpful:

AT+QGPS=1,3,0,0.1

XTRA is set on automatic download. One problem I have seen in this setup, even if TESTMODE is off or ON.
Sometimes after a cold start (the XTRA file is deleted) the module stucks on AT+QGPS=1,3,0,0.1… and the only way to put it to work is to remove power.

For BG95 M3 is important if GNSS or data has priority?

From several tests it looks that the position/orientation of BG95 M3 is quite bad.

Is there a way to inject some info regarding cell towers into BG65?

Thanks!

@Linkin-Q
From where do you have that table. I’ve wrote support some info regarding BG95 vs BG96:

I track big metal containers that sometimes are put indoors, but in buildings with high windows.
I must choose between BG95M3 and BG96. What product is advisable for me?

On BG95M3 I do not see the AGPS function, which might be useful indoors sometime.
On BG96, the AGPS I have been able to make it work, although the XTRA features not that much.

For me it is:
BG95M3 – PRO:

• Faster speeds on LTE
  • Easier to deal with XTRA option
    BG95M3 – CONS:
  • Lack of AGPS
  • Problems with no line of sight GNSS

BG96 – PRO:

• Existence of AGPS
  • More tests done with the physical device
  • Acceptable with no-line of sight GNSS
    BG96 – CONS:
  • XTRA file hard to deal with

Thank you!

Hi,

This table not showing in release Note or application note. that is summarized by RD team.

BR
Linkin

Thank you, @Linkin-Q !

I’ll use BG96 for the application in which I need AGPS. BG95-M3 I’ll use it for low power situations.