BG95 GNSS Tracking Mode

Hi all,

I am currently working with the BG95 and it’s GNSS functionality.
Based on it’s datasheet, there should be a tracking mode (enabled via AT+CFUN=0), which only consumes around 30mA as stated here.

Because my application is power constrained, I would like to use the tracking mode instead of the searching mode. Unfortunately, I neither precisely know how to get into this tracking mode, nor if there is a way to check if the BG95 is currently in searching or tracking mode.

Therefore, I would like to ask, if somebody can help me to “activate” the tracking mode on the BG95 and maybe provide me a way to validate if the module is in searching or tracking mode.

The current code works as follows:

• activate BG95
  • activate XTRA and update file if expired
  • AT+CFUN=0 → as stated in datasheet
  • AT+QGPSCFG=“priority”,0 → activate GNSS priority mode
  • AT+QGPSCFG=“nmeasrc”,0 → activate NMEA Sentences
  • AT+QGPSCFG=“gnssconfig”,5 → define GPS Constellations
  • check again if XTRA is fine
  • AT+QGPS=1,1,0,1 → enable GPS with low accuracy and continues positioning

What puzzels me is, that the BG95 does not move into this tracking mode, even though I find a position for multiple times.

Hi @whati001

So, as you shown when got a position the consumption still higher than datasheet right? have you connected USB cabel? and could you please diabled GNSS and set AT+CFUN=0 to check the consumption?

Hi @Linkin-Q ,

thank you very much for your response. We have raised the same question simultenously within the Quectel Customer Support platform and have already received the following feedback:

"there is no way to check in which mode is GNSS receiver. In general, after 12.5 minutes of positioning, GNSS will enter the tracking phase, at which time the current consumption is lower.However, if a new satellite is found, the power consumption will be higher again. "

The answer is not really satisfying, but please see the ticket as resolved/closed.

Regards,
Andi