BC92: First questions

Dear Team,

we’re evaluating the BC92 and already ordered a first batch of boards for it.
It’s an awesome chip but I think it still runs beta firmware. Is there a roadmap for a firmware update?

And one side question: what’s “STNN”? The module sends this from time to time after a command

Also, here’s some feedback:

PSM
On our own board, PSM does not work reliably. The first time after boot, the module goes successfuly into deep sleep, but after waking it with PSM_EINT by pulling it low, it does wake up but never goes back to deep sleep. Sometimes it works 2 or 3 cycles, but never more. I can see some activity with a current profiler showing spikes every 90 seconds and after 3 such spikes the current goes up to 25.5mA with a lot of ripple and after another approx. 3 minutes the module goes into deep sleep successfully.
The behavior is different with BC92 TE-B where it seems to work flawlessly.

Is there anything required in circuity? Like holding PSM_EINT (or any other pin) up to prevent it from floating so that the module can go to deep sleep? Do you maybe have a schematic of the TE-B?

UDP/GSM

It seems UDP is not implemented for GSM.

AT+QNWCFG=0,1
OK
AT+QIOPEN=1,0,“UDP”,“78.94.82.30”,49897
OK
+QIOPEN: 0,570

The same commands work perfectly for NB.
APN is set and it seems UE is attached but the context can’t be activated:

AT+CGATT?
+CGATT: 1
AT+CGACT?
+CGACT: 1,0
AT+CGACT=1,1
ERROR

It takes a while between AT+CGACT and ERROR.

Release assistance

The module always stays active 20 seconds for a successful data transmission and it seems there’s no way (yet) to force a release like we would do with AT+QCFG=“rrcabort” for the BG series.

Power profile for failed PSM

Power profile for successful PSM

Bump
I know that the current situation is challenging but I really put some effort in this

Hi Derchris
https://cnquectel-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/ae-fae_quectel_com/Ei4vUNdXKOVMiXasK5H-zHcBZ2NmXeqQ_sqI6sXtogNUrg?e=UBF0bs
Can be upgraded to the latest firmware version.
You can check Quectel_BC92_Firmware_Release_Notes to confirm the supported functions.

And one side question: what’s “STNN”? The module sends this from
【Abner】The automatically processed commands in the STK commands are not separated from the manually processed commands.
Does not affect normal use.

The same commands work perfectly for NB.
APN is set and it seems UE is attached but the context can’t be activated:
AT+CGATT?
+CGATT: 1
AT+CGACT?
+CGACT: 1,0
AT+CGACT=1,1
ERROR
It takes a while between AT+CGACT and ERROR.
【Abner】Configure APN to use the AT + QCGDEFCONT command.

The module always stays active 20 seconds for a successful data transmission and it seems there’s no way (yet) to force a release like we would do with AT+QCFG=“rrcabort” for the BG series.
【Abner】Before sending the last packet of data, execute AT + QNBIOTRAI = 1 to quickly release the connection.

Awesome, thank you! I‘ll trY

The upgrade went fine (just don’t use the _upg file), and it shows Revision: BC92RBR01A03
But “AT+QNBIOTRAI=1” and “AT+QNBIOTRAI?” just return ERROR

Hi Derchris
BC92 does not yet have an AT command that supports RAI quick release, and can only be released automatically after 20s.

Hi Abner,

okay, I thought you wrote so.

However, it seems that the sleep clock never gets activated for the recent firmware when in GSM. Current is always > 10mA while with the same hardware but older (beta) firmware, sleep in GSM is around 1mA

Hi Derchris
GSM network power consumption is higher than NB-iot, about 13ma.

Abner, sorry, but that‘s wrong. The previous firmware had 1.3mA for GSM, I think the new firmware introduced a bug