AG520 bootloader in lock state

Problem:

I have implemented the AG520 AB processor on some devices. When trying to update the device using fastboot I noticed that the update fails because the bootloader is in a lock state (see below):

$ fastboot flash boot sa415m-boot.img && fastboot flash b_boot sa415m-boot.img
Sending 'boot' (12644 KB)                          OKAY [  0.350s]
Writing 'boot'                                     FAILED (remote: 'Flashing is not allowed in Lock State')
fastboot: error: Command failed

Below here is the output of the lock state request command:

$ fastboot getvar unlocked
unlocked: no
Finished. Total time: 0.001s

And if I check if the bootloader ability to be unlocked, it appears to be restricted:

$ fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability
(bootloader) get_unlock_ability: 0
OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.003s

As an experiment, I have added the ro.boot.flash.locked=0 property in the build.prop file to try unlocking the bootloader, however that failed.

Incidentally, this is not the case for devices with the AG520 AA and AG521 AB processors. They have the bootloader that can be unlocked and I am able to update the devices using fastboot.

Question:
Is there a specific reason for this processor to be locked from fastboot updates?

If we can unlock it, what would be the correct steps to take to overcome this issue?

Hi,

Is it working if you put this particular image to the firmware package and flash with complete firmware package using Qflash tool?

BR,
Louis

Hi @Louis.Huang-Q,

Thank you for your suggestion.

The QFIL firmware update process fails using any version of the firmware with the following errors:

Thanks,

Rob

This is the second screenshot, as a new user it would not allow me to put 2 screenshots in the above reply:

Hi,

The device might have been locked due to illegal flashing. There is a protection mechanism to protect the module from illegal flashing operation.
You need to consult your sales manager for technical support of fix this module.

BR,
Louis

Thanks @Louis.Huang-Q,

This device has secure-boot enabled and I am trying to update via fastboot using a signed version of the software.

However, it’s likely that an unsigned version was used for an update in the past, which would have probably caused the module to lock.

I’ll check with the sales manager and post an update here.

Rob