RM500Q-AE : wwan0 (qmi_wwan): transmit queue 0 timed out

Hello Markham,

Woudl you have the link of the thread where you guys are working on these issues?

Did you ever get the latest firmware?

The ROOter forum is sort of scattered out through various posts. You can hit archive (at the bottom of the page) select the last few numbers at the top and search thru for RM500Q.
Here’s were I post about the hang: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3vx1k1r3?p=933#r18659
and here is an earlier discussion: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3vx1k1r3?p=927#r18528

And here’s another post on github where I ran into another guy having the same issues with the RM500Q

@Markham_thomas,sorry for the delay, just now i push them internally, our U.S. FAE will reply you as soon as possible.

@ocpilot,yes, you all are my customers, for the issue, our team are urgently dealing with it. Thanks!

Thanks Peter. The US FAE did initially respond, but then hooked me up with Alice in sales who sent me back to him once she saw I had QLOG’s to be analyzed for the issue. I’ve been waiting since then for him to respond by either saying they got the QLOG data or needed something else.
= Regards, Markham

Hello Thomas,
Our U.S. FAE Henry now is dealing with it and will update to you later via mail, thanks!

Hi Peter.
I just traded emails with the U.S. FAE and hope to hear soon if the data I captured helps.
= Thanks, Markham

@Markham_thomas
Hi Markham,

Just wondering - did you get any further with this? Was the FAE able to help? Seeing something very similar with an EC25.

We got further along the debug process by forcing IPV6 (needed for T-Mobile home internet) and capturing qlog debugging information when it tried to reconnect. But since then I have not heard back from them.
That has been about 3 weeks ago.

Sorry to hear that, could you loop me into that mail so that I can make a push. thanks!

We too are seeing similar issue with EM12G. AT commands also stop working.
“[579310.834848] NETDEV WATCHDOG: ppp0 (GobiNet): transmit queue 0 timed out”

Note: Interface name has been changed to ppp0 by us (its just a naming convention) .

Is this a known issue? Any firmware fix available ?

I spent weeks trying to engage T-mobile technical team with packet captures proving they send a network disconnect. They finally told me to write a letter to TMO customer relations. While I was trying to figure out how to compose packet captures in a physical letter my tower got upgraded to n38 (and apparently new software on the Tmobile side) and I now have had no TX hangs.
My suspicions are that the cellular providers are allowing people to connect in 5g mode but don’t have full support for 5g in the towers until they get upgraded.

The key was seeing the cellular network send a network disconnect command to the modem… .hence the TX hang.

Thanks Markham for your comments.

Thank you Thomas for the explanation and you are right as I had some problems with some MNOs.
I manage to skip them with a 5G Laboratory (that includes a VoLTE Lab - YateBTS)

I’m currently facing the same problem using a RM502Q-AE module (FW RM502QAEAAR13A03M4G) and a virtualized OpenWrt 22.03.5 instance. The modem is running in MBIM mode because QMI has some other weird issues (almost 100% CPU usage in kernel space (softirq?) when receiving data, caps out at ~100 Mbit/s).
MBIM is providing the expected ~350 Mbit/s throughput but dies after a few hours. Carrier is Deutsche Telekom using 5G NSA.

Has this issue ever been resolved?

@aleksander0m @Peter.Zhu-Q